Home Advice for Parents & CarersBenefits A-Z Disability Living Allowance and Personal Independence Payment

Disability Living Allowance and Personal Independence Payment

Last updated: 7 Dec 2021

Disability Living Allowance and Personal Independence Payment are benefits for the extra costs of disability. It doesn’t matter whether you are working or not working, and you don’t have to have someone who cares for you.

New adult claims for Disability Living Allowance (DLA) are no longer possible, and Personal Independence Payment (PIP) must be claimed instead. However, many adults are still on DLA and will be moved to PIP gradually. New claims for DLA are possible for children under 16.

DLA has two parts, the care component and the mobility component. You may get both parts or just one of them. The care component has three rates and the mobility component two rates. PIP also has two parts, the daily living component and the mobility component, which both have two rates, standard and enhanced.

Because the PIP claim form is long and complicated, it is a good idea to get some help in filling it in from, for example, a Citizens Advice Bureau.

If you are already receiving DLA and you are 16 or over, then you will eventually be invited to apply for PIP, unless you were over 65 when PIP started. There is more information about PIP on the site GOV.UK, or in Northern Ireland, on NIdirect.

This advice applies in England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland. If you live in another part of the UK, the law may differ. Please call our helpline for more details.

If you have further questions and would like to contact our advice team please use our advice contact form below or call us.

Advice contact form

Have you heard about your right to request flexible working? Watch our film to find out more.

DonateReceive updates button

The information on the law contained on this site is provided free of charge and does not, and is not intended to, amount to legal advice to any person on a specific case or matter. If you are not a solicitor, you are advised to obtain specific legal advice about your case or matter and not to rely solely on this information. Law and guidance is changing regularly in this area.

We cannot provide advice on employment rights in Northern Ireland as the law is different. You can visit the Labour Relations Agency or call their helpline Workplace Information Service on 03300 555 300.