Shared Parental Leave: One year on
Published: 5 Apr 2016
Today is the first anniversary of Shared Parental Leave (SPL), a new policy allowing eligible working parents to share periods of parental leave. Our January 2016 research into the reception of SPL indicates that:
- more than two thirds of employers are supportive of SPL
- a third of employers are matching SPL pay to existing enhanced maternity pay
- employers continue to have concerns about the complexity of SPL and about the cultural acceptance of fathers taking leave
- two thirds of employers are planning to review their SPL policy in the next year as the new provisions become more established
- 7 out of 10 employers expect take-up to eventually exceed the government estimate of 8%.