Arnold Clark – 2019 Scottish Top Employers (large private sector)
Arnold Clark is breaking the mould when it comes to flexible working in the automotive trade. Traditionally the retail arm of the businesses required a six-day working week, but Arnold Clark has recently taken a different approach which is proving extremely popular with employees. This major employer recognises the importance of work life balance, offering a range of flexible working arrangements, including what is considered an industry leading move to a 5-day sales week for retail employees.
Since implementing this change, Arnold Clark has seen a dramatic increase in job applications and employee numbers have consistently increased by around 3,000 since 2014. Having more flexibility over the course of a week affords a better work life balance for employees, particularly in the fast-paced sales environment.
- Designed a variety of flexible working options and shift patters, including:
- 4-on, 4-off shift patterns
- Compressed hours
- Day shift, twilight shift, night shift
- Home working
- Industry-leading 5-day working week for Product Consultants
- Plan to remove the existing qualifying period (26 week) for employees who wish to apply for flexible working.
- Arnold Clark launched a dedicated employee information app Arnold Clark Employee (ACE) to engage with employees
- An ‘ask the boss’ function to communicate directly with the CEO and Managing Director.
- Rolled out a series of engagement opportunities and roadshows with Senior management and Directors.
- Established an employee forum known as the Think Employee Team.
What their people say
‘The school run in the morning can be an extremely stressful part of my day. Flexible working allows me to actually calmly sit with my kids and have breakfast with them, finding out about their day ahead rather than rushing them out the door to breakfast club. Working flexibly means getting to see them take part in after school activities like swimming and gymnastics, and not missing out, rather than sitting in drivetime traffic trying to rush home in time to tuck them into bed. Everyday little things that are taken for granted like sharing family mealtimes and reading the kids a bedtime story are the things that make families happier. I’m proud to work hard for a family company who understands this and values their employees inside and outside of work.’
Senior Executive, Arnold Clark