Home Advice for Parents & CarersWork Problems What to do if you are having problems at work

What to do if you are having problems at work

You should try to sort the matter out informally with your employer first, for example, by speaking to your line manager, human resources or another senior manager. If you are in a union you could talk to your union representative. Employment rights can be very complicated; it may help to get some leaflets to show your employer and to get advice at this stage.

You should try to keep a diary about the problems at work and notes of any conversations when you have discussed your concerns with your employer. You should try and get your employer to put things in writing.

If you cannot sort the matter out informally, you should make a formal grievance using your employer’s grievance procedure. There is more information on grievance letters here. If you have believe that you have been unfairly dismissed/disciplined you should appeal your dismissal/disciplinary action but any claim for unfair dismissal must be made within three months less one day of the date of your dismissal.

If you want to take legal action against your employer, you can make a claim in an Employment Tribunal which will hear your case. Usually you should raise a formal grievance first but always make a tribunal claim within the time limits (even if the grievance is ongoing).  You will be required to go through Early Conciliation before making a claim.

If you are thinking about making a claim, it is often very useful to make a Data Subject Access Request to get information and put pressure on your employer.

This advice applies in England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland. If you live in another part of the UK, the law may differ. Please call our helpline for more details

If you have further questions and would like to contact our advice team please use our advice contact form below or call us.

Advice contact form

Have you heard about your right to request flexible working? Watch our film to find out more.

DonateReceive updates button

The information on the law contained on this site is provided free of charge and does not, and is not intended to, amount to legal advice to any person on a specific case or matter. If you are not a solicitor, you are advised to obtain specific legal advice about your case or matter and not to rely solely on this information. Law and guidance is changing regularly in this area.