The Waving not drowning network

Last updated: 17 May 2021

If you’re caring for a disabled child, you may find yourself going down a different life path than the one you had planned, so remaining in paid work can be quite challenging. Knowing your rights can help you combine paid work and caring for your child. Working Families has set up ‘Waving not drowning’ – a dedicated network and advice service for people who work or wish to work and have caring responsibilities for dependants with a disability.

Sign up to ‘Waving not drowning’ newsletters

Rights in the film

For more information about the rights mentioned in our new film, please use the links below.

Parental leave

Time off for dependants

Flexible working

About the network

The Waving not drowning project was established in 1996. It provides a helpline, newsletter, e-bulletin and occasional events and publications for parents of disabled children and carers of adults who want to combine paid work with their caring responsibilities.

Waving not drowning also have a Facebook Group where carers or parents can get support, share their experiences, and ask us questions.

The helpline for questions about work and caring is 0300 012 0312.

Campaign objectives and policy asks

Case studies

Read some case studies of parents with disabled children about the difficulties they faced in balancing paid work and caring.

Read Claire’s story

Read Mandy’s story

Useful information

Downloadable factsheets

Related organisations

Join in the chat about combining paid work and caring for disabled children in the Waving not drowning Facebook community

Waving not drowning Facebook Group

If you have further questions and would like to contact our advice team please use our advice contact form below or call us.

Advice contact form

DonateReceive updates button

The information on the law contained on this site is provided free of charge and does not, and is not intended to, amount to legal advice to any person on a specific case or matter. If you are not a solicitor, you are advised to obtain specific legal advice about your case or matter and not to rely solely on this information. Law and guidance is changing regularly in this area.