Parents and carers: help us #flextheUK.

Take our survey to let us know how you've balanced work and care during COVID-19, and your hopes for what work will look like in a post-COVID future. Your responses will be used to support our work with the government and employers to make flexible working the norm.

Take the survey

Home Advice for Parents & CarersBenefits for parents National Insurance credits for parents and carers

National Insurance credits for parents and carers

Coronavirus and national insurance credits for childcare

During the coronavirus outbreak childcare arrangements may be different to usual. There is more information about how this could affect national insurance credits on the Low Income Tax Reform Group website.

National insurance credits for parents and carers

If you are not earning enough to pay national insurance, you can get national insurance credits (which count towards state pension and bereavement benefits) whilst you get Child Benefit for a child under 12 or in some circumstances, you are caring for a disabled person.

If you are the partner of someone who receives Child Benefit and you want to transfer the credits from them to you, you can also do this.

National insurance credits are a reason why you might decide to claim Child Benefit even though your partner earns too much for you to get it paid in full because of the high income tax charge (see Child Benefit).

You can also get national insurance credits (towards state pension and bereavement benefits) if you are caring for a child under 12, you do not get Child Benefit for them, and you are a relative such as a grandparent, aunt, uncle or cousin. The person receiving Child Benefit for the child must be someone who earns enough to pay national insurance, and must agree to your application for credits.

For the full details of who can get national insurance credits, and for details of how to apply, see the GOV.UK website.

This advice applies in England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland. If you live in another part of the UK, the law may differ. Please call our helpline for more details.

If you have further questions and would like to contact our advice team please use our advice contact form below or call us.

Advice contact form

Have you heard about your right to request flexible working? Watch our film to find out more.

DonateReceive updates button