Home Advice for Parents & CarersChildren and Young People What can I claim when I have a child?

What can I claim when I have a child?

When can I claim Child Benefit?

What is Child Tax Credit?

Can I get Sure Start Maternity Grant?

What about Housing Benefits and Council Tax?

Should I claim Universal Credit instead?

If you need advice about what you can claim for a new child, read our Toolkit for parents or ring our helpline.

This advice applies in England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland. If you live in another part of the UK, the law may differ. Please call our helpline for more details.

If you have further questions and would like to contact our advice team please use our advice contact form below or call us.

Advice contact form

Have you heard about your right to request flexible working? Watch our film to find out more.

DonateReceive updates button