Financial help for families

If you have come to this country from abroad you may not be able to claim all the benefits mentioned on this website: you should seek advice before you apply, for example, from Citizens Advice.

In the UK any new claims for income-based benefits have now been replaced with Universal Credit (UC). You cannot make a new claim for any of the following benefits (you will have to claim UC instead unless you are in receipt of a Severe Disability Premium):

  • Income Support
  • Tax Credits
  • Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
  • Income-related Employment Support Allowance
  • Housing Benefit

You can also use the benefits checker on the EntitledTo website to see what to claim and calculate how much you should receive.

As well as the benefits in the table below, you may be able to claim benefits to help with other expenses, for example Housing Benefit (only if you have an existing claim) to help with your rent, Council Tax Reduction to help with council tax, free school meals, and help with health costs. There is more information about these kinds of help on the GOV.UK, EntitledTo or Turn2Us websites. Some local authorities (councils) have funds called local welfare assistance to help with one off costs or financial needs in a crisis, but not all do – you can ask local advice agencies about this, for example, your Citizens Advice Bureau.

The benefit cap may reduce your entitlement to benefits, especially if you are not working.

  Working Not working/working part-time
You or your partner work 16 hours  a week or moreLooking for workBringing up children as a lone parentSick or disabledCaring for a disabled adult or child
Money for adults Working Tax Credit* Jobseeker’s Allowance* Income Support*/Jobseeker’s Allowance*

Employment and Support Allowance*

Disability Living Allowance

Personal independence payment

Carer’s Allowance; Income Support*

Attendance Allowance (for disabled adult aged 65 or over)

Disability Living Allowance (for disabled adult or child)

Personal Independence Payment (for disabled adult or young person aged 16 or over)

Money for children Child BenefitChild Tax Credit*

Child Benefit;

Child Tax Credit*

Child Benefit;

Child Tax Credit*

Child Benefit;

Child Tax Credit*

Child Benefit

Child Tax Credit*

Disability Living Allowance (if child disabled).

Personal Independence Payment (for a young person 16 or over.

*If you make a new claim for one of these benefits or your circumstances change you will be told to claim Universal Credit instead.

This advice applies in England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland. If you live in another part of the UK, the law may differ. Please call our helpline for more details.

If you have further questions and would like to contact our advice team please use our advice contact form below or call us.

Advice contact form

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Have you heard about your right to request flexible working? Watch our film to find out more.

DonateReceive updates button