Home Advice for Parents & CarersBenefits A-Z Council Tax Reduction – Help with the council tax

Council Tax Reduction – Help with the council tax

Last updated: 20 Apr 2022

Council Tax Reduction

Your local authority will have a scheme to help people on low incomes with their council tax, usually called Council Tax Reduction or Council Tax Support. The amount of help you get will depend on your local authority. Because of changes to the amounts local authorities have to spend on this, when the new tax year starts (in April each year) you may have to pay more council tax than you did before, or start paying some even though your circumstances have not changed.

People who live in a one adult household receive a rebate of 25% off their council tax – you just have to tell the local authority that you live alone.  You may still be entitled to additional help with the council tax bill. The same applies if you have other discounts on your council tax bill, for example because of adaptations for a disabled person. You should still check to see if you can get additional help with the remaining bill.

Council Tax Reduction is paid by your local authority (council) so you should contact them for a claim form. The amount you get will depend on your circumstances and how much council tax you pay.

You will find more information about Council Tax and help with paying it on your local authority website. To find your local authority website, you can use GOV.UK website.

Council Tax Rebate – April 2022

In response to the increased cost of living, and in particular the rise in energy prices, the government has introduced a £150 council tax rebate. This is a £150 payment that will be made to households in council tax bands A to D. Payments will be made from April 2022 and will not have to be paid back. People who are in receipt of Council Tax Reduction (sometimes known as Council Tax Support) will also receive the £150 rebate.

If you pay your council tax by direct debit, you do not need to do anything to receive the rebate. Your local council will make the payment directly into your bank account. If you do not pay your council tax by direct debit, your local council will contact you from April to arrange a method for paying the rebate. You do not need to do anything in the meantime.

More information about the rebate is available on gov.uk.

This advice applies in England, Wales and Scotland. If you live in another part of the UK, the law may differ. Please call our helpline for more details.

If you have further questions and would like to contact our advice team please use our advice contact form below or call us.

Advice contact form

Have you heard about your right to request flexible working? Watch our film to find out more.

Receive updates button

The information on the law contained on this site is provided free of charge and does not, and is not intended to, amount to legal advice to any person on a specific case or matter. If you are not a solicitor, you are advised to obtain specific legal advice about your case or matter and not to rely solely on this information. Law and guidance is changing regularly in this area.

We cannot provide advice on employment rights in Northern Ireland as the law is different. You can visit the Labour Relations Agency or call their helpline Workplace Information Service on 03300 555 300.