We give legal advice to parents and carers on their rights at work, for free, to anyone who needs it

We are thrilled to be taking part in the Big Give Christmas Challenge, running until Tuesday 7 December. That means that if you can donate even a few pounds today your donation will be immediately doubled!

Please help us support more parents and carers who need us today.

If you can’t donate right now, please help by spreading the word about Working Families. Please help us to help others and share any information you have found useful. You never know who might need it.

Thank you.

Donate now

Carer’s allowance

Last updated: 29 Jun 2021

Coronavirus and Carer’s Allowance

During the coronavirus emergency, the rules for Carer’s Allowance are relaxed so that if you are already claiming it, but can’t currently care for the disabled person due to either you, or the person you care for, being in isolation due to symptoms of coronavirus or infection/contamination, you can carry on getting it. The DWP says that temporarily, emotional support can also count towards the 35 hours a week of care. (The same relaxation of the rules applies in Northern Ireland).

Carer’s Allowance is a benefit for people who care for disabled adults or children.

You can get Carer’s Allowance if you:

Carer’s Allowance does not depend on household income so it doesn’t matter how much anyone else in your house earns. If you count as a carer for Carer’s Allowance, you may also be able to claim Universal Credit but this will depend on other circumstances including savings, partner’s work, and joint income. Some carers may be on Income Support, one of the benefits which Universal Credit has replaced. In general, you cannot make new claims for Income Support, unless very limited circumstances apply.

You will find more information about Carer’s Allowance and how to claim it on the GOV.UK  website. The Carers UK website also has lots of information about Carer’s Allowance and other financial help for carers. Claiming Carer’s Allowance can affect the benefits of the person you care for, if they are on income-based benefits, so it is particularly important to get advice about this before claiming.

Working Families has useful information if you need to reduce your hours because of your caring responsibilities.

This advice applies in England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland. If you live in another part of the UK, the law may differ. Please call our helpline for more details.

If you have further questions and would like to contact our advice team please use our advice contact form below or call us.

Advice contact form

Have you heard about your right to request flexible working? Watch our film to find out more.

DonateReceive updates button

The information on the law contained on this site is provided free of charge and does not, and is not intended to, amount to legal advice to any person on a specific case or matter. If you are not a solicitor, you are advised to obtain specific legal advice about your case or matter and not to rely solely on this information. Law and guidance is changing regularly in this area.