Can you help improve our service?

Help us to help more families. Just answer the questions below.

Did you find the information you were looking for today?
How easy was it to find?
If you had the option, would you use a virtual assistant (chatbot) to help you find the information you need?
Don't fill this in
This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Home Advice for Parents & CarersBenefits for carers of disabled adults A Guide to Benefits if you care for a disabled person

A Guide to Benefits if you care for a disabled person

Last updated: 4 Jan 2022

If you care for a disabled person, you may be able to claim Carer’s Allowance, and in some cases, Universal Credit.

Even if you are working and earn too much to get Carer’s Allowance, you may still be able to get Universal Credit. It can include a carer element (which increases the amount you can get) if you meet certain conditions.

You may be able to claim Council Tax Reduction as well, whether or not you are working, although you usually have to be on a low income.

If you count as a carer of a disabled person, you may already be claiming benefits such as Income Support or income-related Employment and Support Allowance, but this will depend on other circumstances including hours of work, savings, partner’s work, and joint income. You might also be claiming Housing Benefit if you pay rent, Council Tax Reduction if you pay council tax, Child Tax Credit if you have children and/or Working Tax Credit if you or your partner work. In most cases, you cannot make a new claim for Income Support, income-related Employment and Support Allowance, tax credits or Housing Benefit and you will need to claim Universal Credit instead.

If you get any of the benefits being replaced by Universal Credit, you should seek advice before claiming it, as you can end up worse off.

You can do a benefits check for your family on the Turn2Us website or Entitledto.

The Carers UK website also has lots of information about Carer’s Allowance and other financial help for carers.

Working Families has useful information if you need to change your hours at work because of your caring responsibilities.

This advice applies in England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland. If you live in another part of the UK, the law may differ. Please call our helpline for more details.

If you have further questions and would like to contact our advice team please use our advice contact form below or call us.

Advice contact form

Have you heard about your right to request flexible working? Watch our film to find out more.

DonateReceive updates button

The information on the law contained on this site is provided free of charge and does not, and is not intended to, amount to legal advice to any person on a specific case or matter. If you are not a solicitor, you are advised to obtain specific legal advice about your case or matter and not to rely solely on this information. Law and guidance is changing regularly in this area.