Home Advice for Parents & CarersLow income benefits Income Support – for pregnant women

Income Support – for pregnant women

This page is only relevant if you are already in receipt of Income Support or if you are in receipt of Severe Disability Premium (or got it in the last month and you are still eligible for it). Any new claims for IS will be a claim for Universal Credit instead. 

It is possible to get Income Support whilst you are pregnant and for a period after the birth. Remember that you must meet all the other conditions including having a low income and not living with a partner who works 24 hours or more per week. If you get sick pay or some kind of maternity pay, you probably cannot get IS as well.

If you are incapable of work because of pregnancy you may be able to claim IS.  ‘Incapable of work’ has a specific meaning but you will usually meet this if you are signed off work by your doctor. This could apply at any stage of your pregnancy.

If you are pregnant and within 11 weeks of your due date you may also be able to claim IS (in this case you don’t have to show you are incapable of work).  You can claim IS for this reason up until 15 weeks after your pregnancy ends.  So, for example, if you cannot claim Statutory Maternity Pay, Maternity Allowance or contributory Employment and Support Allowance around the time of your baby’s birth, or if you usually claim income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance, you can claim IS instead for this period –  but remember this will not usually be possible if you live with a working partner.

You claim IS in the normal way from Jobcentre Plus. You will find more information on claiming IS on the GOV.UK website.

If you have further questions and would like to contact our advice team please use our advice contact form below or call us.

Advice contact form

Have you heard about your right to request flexible working? Watch our film to find out more.

DonateReceive updates button